Covid-19 has changed a lot of things in our everyday lives, including how businesses function and conduct business. Many nonprofits have questions surrounding the legalities of operating in this new environment and what to do as some areas return to somewhat normal operations. Here are some helpful tips:
- Have everyone who attends in-person events or meetings fill out and sign a waiver.
- The waiver should explain the explicit risks of Covid-19 and the risks of meeting in-person.
- It should be filled out by all non-employee attendees until everyone is vaccinated.
- Make sure you are following all federal, state, and local mandates and orders.
- This could include things like how many attendees are allowed, how much space you need, and any other specific protocols outlined by the governmental authority to ensure a safe meeting.
The best way to reduce liability is to follow the tips above. While not required, here are some additional tips to keep in mind when hosting an event:
- If you are planning to have food at your event, make sure it is individually wrapped or prepackaged. Buffets still pose greater risk than they did pre-pandemic.
- Collect the contact information of everyone attending your event in case there is a potential exposure, and you need to let people know.
- Give attendees a flexible cancellation policy so they can opt-out of coming to the meeting if they are experiencing any symptoms or are worried about attending.
- If you reach capacity, implement a one-in-one-out policy.
- Make sure that everyone is wearing a mask and keeping at least 6 feet of distance between other attendees.
- Ensure that everything is cleaned well, before and after the event.
- Post signs reminding people to wash their hands, use hand sanitizer, keep their distance, and wear a mask.
- Limit sharing when possible and make anything contactless that can be.
While there is still much uncertainty related to in-person meetings, following the above tips can ensure a safe environment for attendees while minimizing liability issues for your nonprofit. Should you have specific questions related to an event you are hosting, reach out today at 720-323-2720 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
By Sydney Jones